Business Tech Weekly:
The Importance of Domain Names
* The Importance of the domain name for branding your business.
* Experts Exchange, a knowledge base where programmers can exchange advice and views at www.expertsexchange.com can be viewed as ExpertSexChange.com (Note: This site no longer exists).
* Looking for a pen? Look no further than Pen Island at www.penisland.net. When you put the words Pen and Island together, it looks like PenisLand.net
* One of the funniest domains is from a group of designers, and their whacky website Speed of Art.com. Though it looks more like SpeedoFart.com
* Does your domain name communicates professionalism?
* If you have an address that ends with .blogger.com, .wordpress.com or anything other than yourbusiness.com then you really don't have a business, you have a hobby. Thing is, most people can't make a living with a hobby.
* Where do we buy our domains?
* GoDaddy – Price has gone up but coupons are always available via Google, Price is currently $10.69 for .com domains. Coupons are easy to find. Sometimes they run coupons for renewals as well
* Your Host – Often you'll get a free domain when you purchase hosting for your web site. You'll likely have to pay for renewals in the future
* What domain extensions should I purchase? Andy suggests your personal name in .com/.net/.org. Your business' name. Your family's names.
* What extras do I need to get when I buy a domain? We usually don't buy any extras.
* Shapes and Sizes of URL's?
* Short URL's can be very catchy. Though they can be very hard to find quality ones b/c many of them are taken already.
– Long is good b/c it's not confusing and you can communicate your business title clearly. PodcastAnswerMan.com – (Always capitalize the first letter of each word – increases readability considerably, especially if a letter repeats like MoreProfitTechnology.com.
* Hyphenate or not Hyphenate? Avoid punctuation in URL's b/c it makes is very hard to spell/remember the address
* Numbers in my URL? Avoid using numbers or even having people spell them because it just gets too confusing.