It's been just over a month since our family decided that we were “Not Going To Go To Church Anymore!” In the past, if I would miss going to church a few weeks in a row, I would feel incredibly guilty and I would see my life's priorities getting all out of whack. However, if you want to learn about how things are going for our family at this time, I encourage you to check out Episode 165 of the Almost Daily Devotional titled “Life Without Following The Rules.”
In this episode of the About The Church Podcast, I share an amazing teaching on a parable I have read over and over again. It's the parable of the prodigal son. However, in all the times I've read this story and heard sermons preached on this parable, I've never understood the valuable things that this parable has to say about our Father's love for us!
This teaching comes from Wayne Jacobson, author of “So You Don't Want To Go To Church Anymore.” I first heard this teaching as I subscribed to the Lifestream Blog Podcast in iTunes. I would encourage you to subscribe to this podcast and start with the oldest episode and start listening forward. This is what I am in the process of doing.
For those of you who do not subscribe to podcasts, but instead simply listen to these episodes via the web, you can find this teaching, in full, by listening to the session labeled Disc 2 on Wayne's site at http://www.lifestream.org/transition.php.
Here are the major points that I wrote down while playing back this teaching for this episode:
– The issue is that People were complaining about Jesus sending so much of his time with sinners.
– The father didn't even acknowledge the prepared speech. He's already the son of the Father!
– I'm not going to make you hurt one second longer than it took you to decide to come back to me!
– What father gives an inheritance to a son that he knows is up to no good?
– Jesus is telling the story that has already taken place!
– The Father WAITS!
– Where in the parable does the Father demonstrate his love the most in the parable?
– What does the Father have with the son that He didn't have at the beginning? A relationship of affection!
– God does not want the indentured servitude of slaves, but the affection, the extravagant affection of sons and daughters whom He loves.
– We have already been giving the inheritance as His son! “Everything I have is yours!” The older son continues to see himself as a slave in his father's house.
– Two ways to hide from God.
1) Rebellion – Self Indulgence
2) Religion – Slaving Away With Following The Rules
– It's just as easy to hide from God in religious activity.
– I really wanted God! – I WAS TOLD –>
“The more righteous you could be be, the more relationship
with God you could have.”
– The New Testament teaches us that —>
“The more relationship you'll have with God, the more
righteous He'll make you to be.
Thanks For Subscribing To The About The Church Podcast:
Plus Members Subscribe Using Plus Feed Generator.